Canfor Continues Southern Migration, Buying Elliot SYP Mill

Originally published by: HBS DealerJune 2, 2020

The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.

Operations at Elliot Sawmilling focus on the production of southern yellow pine lumber.

Forest products company and lumber producer Canfor has completed its acquisition of Elliot Sawmilling Company Inc.

Based in Estill, S.C., Elliot adds about 210 million board feet of production capacity, according to Canfor. The company produces 100% southern yellow pine lumber in standard sizes.

Canfor, based in Vancouver, British Columbia, first announced the $110 deal in 2018. In 2019, Canfor completed acquiring 49% of the Elliot with the remaining 51% purchase recently completed.

The move follows Canfor’s recent announcement that it will close its Isle Pierre sawmill located near Prince George, British Columbia in the third quarter.

The Isle Pierre sawmill is a one-shift operation with an annual production capacity of approximately 120 million board feet.

In April, Canfor announced temporary reductions across British Columbia sawmills.